Thoughts on Graduate School

 Wednesday, May 5, 2010


 I know I want my masters degree.  And I am so happy that I decided to go straight through undergrad right to grad school.  But, I'm ready to be done with my masters program.  I am so thankful that I turned in my last assignment/paper of my spring semester today.  And I'm also very thankful that I only have one class plus my field placement over the summer.  I'm hoping to take some time to refresh and renew before I start my fall semester (the last of my higher education experience).  There are some things I learned while in graduate school however, which include:

1.  It isn't always necessary to read everything that is assigned.  Sometimes you can take out some main points and get by with the information you learn from snippits.

2.  It is always important to take some time for yourself.  Even though you may have work to do, never keep yourself from family, friends, and breaks for too long.


3.  Professors are generally incredibly experienced and intelligent, but they don't always know what is best.  Each person teaches from their own personal perspective, which may or may not be similar to yours, or the "correct" way of thinking of or doing things.

4.  If the syllabus lays out what is expected of you, it is important to do just that.  Don't write more than you should, or change the layout of your assignment.  If your professor expects you to complete everything a certain way, turn it in according to what your professor wants.

5.  You should wait to purchase all your books until you know what is really required reading.  I made the mistake of buying several books that said exactly the same thing--meaning that I really only needed to make one purchase, instead of spending way more money that I should have.


5.  No matter how much money you spend on your education, this is "good" debt.  "Good" debt is debt that will end up paying itself off over time.  By getting higher education, you will most likely secure a better job, which will help you pay off any debt you have.

So, after exploring all the things I have experienced and learned since the start of graduate school, I have come to the conclusion that (although it is stressful, crazy, intense, overwhelming, and a ton of work), I would do it all over again. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP