Deus e Fiel

 Monday, May 3, 2010

(Top of page: The block where our "home" was located in Manaus, Brazil. Next Picture: Children helping us paint a church for our first project.)

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about Brazil.  I miss everything about the place.  If you would have told me even two years ago that one day I would have a passion and desire to do missions in Brazil, I would have thought you were crazy, but God answers prayers in unexpected ways.

While at Fort Wilderness, a Christian camp in Rhinelander, WI several years ago, I started praying about what God had in store for my life.  I prayed that God would give me some direction and place desires on my heart about where I was supposed to be in the future.  Oddly enough, God placed on my heart the desire to live on a boat and go to river villages delivering food, clothing, clean water, and other basic necessities.

A few years after this time at Fort Wilderness, when I was almost done with my undergraduate studies, I had to pick an agency to do my social work field placement at.  I thought that doing my internship in Africa would have been an amazing experience.  My father went to Africa when I was in 8th grade on a mission trip and I have wanted to volunteer there ever since.  What better time than during my social work internship, right?  Wrong.  God closed every door I had to work overseas in Africa and I began to get disheartened.  Then, during one of my devotion times with the Lord, I felt led to serve in my hometown before seeking experiences in different countries.  

I was blessed with an opportunity to work at the Milwaukee Outreach Center and ended up having an opportunity to go to Brazil on a mission trip.  On this trip, I experienced God in ways I never had before.  Even though language was a barrier, I felt completely at home in Brazil.  Love has no bounds.  God has no bounds.  While in Brazil, I had the opportunity to live on a boat.  I helped deliver food, clothing, clean water, and other basic items to the people living in river villages in Manaus, Brazil - a complete answer to my prayer and desire several years prior.

My field placement allowed me to take the time off to serve in Brazil.  God opened an opportunity for me to serve in a place I never thought I would go.  I was able to experience my passion for living on a boat on the Amazon River.  I fell in love with my "family"-the individuals on the trip with me, and I grew a passion for the people living on the Amazon River. 
 (The Amazon River)

Ever since leaving, I have felt a calling to return to Brazil for an extended period of time (1-2 months).  I am now prayerfully considering going back in April/May of 2011.  I have been in contact with Ray of Hope Amazon, an amazing mission organization in Brazil.  They are praying for an opportunity for me to return to Brazil as well.

 Please pray with me about this opportunity. Pray that I am able to discern the Holy Spirit's leading and keep Christ at the center of my "plans" for the trip.  Pray that whether I go back to Brazil or not, that Ray of Hope's ministry will be fruitful and touch the lives of everyone they encounter in Brazil.  And pray that no matter where God leads me, that I will always have a heart to serve and be open to God's plan for my life.  I appreciate all of your thoughts, prayers, encouragement, and support.
(The Amazon River)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP